This post contains affiliate links. Please know I only share products I USE and LOVE myself. Thank you for your support.
It’s time to decorate your door for the 4th Of July and this FREE My Home Sweet Home Patriotic Door Sign SVG File is just what you need to help make that happen!
Get you a wood round and let’s make this super cute DIY door hanger.
WANT TO SAVE THIS FREE MY HOME SWEET HOME PATRIOTIC DOOR SIGN SVG FILE FOR LATER? SAVE IT TO YOUR FAVORITE BOARD ON PINTEREST.
Wood round door hangers are amazing and I bet you didn’t know that you can find them almost everywhere now. I’ve even seen them at the Dollar Tree, but for sure at Lowes and Home Depot, and of course on Amazon.
P.S. If you pick a wood round that is wider than 10 inches you will need to also pick up a 12×24 Cricut mat as you can only cut up to a width of 11.7 inches with the 12×12 mat.
I’m going to share with you exactly how I to make a door sign like this one, and even share some tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way.
What Do I Need To Make This Patriotic Door Sign?
Here are all the things I used to make my 4th Of July Door Hanger.
- 12 Inch Wood Round Sign (I got mine on Amazon.)
- Permanent Vinyl & Transfer Tape (I used 12×12 sheets of red, white and blue for this project.)
- 12×24 Cricut Cutting Mat
- Your Cricut Cutting Machine With Design Space Readily Available
- This FREE My Home Sweet Home Door Sign SVG File (Download at the bottom of this post.)
Before you begin cutting your design, you’ll want to make sure to measure just how wide and tall you’ll want your design to be.
Even though the rounds you buy might say one size, they might be a little smaller or larger; so it’s best to make sure before you cut your vinyl.
To measure my wood rounds I like to use a measuring tape to figure out how many inches tall and wide my design should be.
If you need to paint your sign, this is also the time to do it, but make sure to allow ample time for it to completely dry; at least 24 hours.
In this case we’ll need a white background, so I’m painting my sign with white chalk paint.
Let’s Make A Wood Round Door Hanger For 4th Of July!
STEP 1: Upload the FREE My Home Sweet Home Door Sign SVG File to Design Space and size it according to the measurement you want your design to be.
Remember to make sure the little lock icon is closed when you go to size your design to make sure it doesn’t get distorted and retains the correct size proportions.
STEP 2: Cut, Weed & Apply Transfer Tape To Your Design.
Since you’re working with vinyl, you do not need to worry about mirroring your design. Just let it cut as is. Once you’ve cut the design, weed all the pieces.
This means that you will need to remove all of the excess vinyl from your vinyl sheet, leaving just the design itself on the sheets.
After you’ve weeded the design, cut a piece of transfer tape and apply it to the top element of the design, in this case that would be the blue section.
I suggest using a scraper tool to secure the vinyl to the transfer tape without leaving any air bubbles.
STEP 3: Clean The Sign Surface.
To clean the sign surface I just take a rag and wipe off any debris that might cause my vinyl to not stick.
If your sign isn’t smooth, make sure you sand it down to extremely smooth to start with.
STEP 4: Align & Apply Design.
Now you’re ready to start applying the design piece by piece. Again, you’ll need to first start with the blue piece and then the bottom red and white stripes.
Once you’ve got those on there, then you can apply the stars and text.
Super easy right? It really is.
Don’t be afraid to take it slow and remember to apply your vinyl from top to bottom or side to side, but don’t go both ways; choose one.
STEP 5: Make It A Door Hanger
This part is optional, but if you want to use this sign as a door sign or hanger, then you’ll want to apply a rope to the back so that you will be able to hang it.
I like to use Jute Twine, but in a pinch even a piece of ribbon will do. You can either use a staple gun to attach it or some hot glue will do the trick as well.
And there you have it. It’s a total beauty right?
More Tips & Tricks
1. You Should Get 12×24 Cricut Mats. – Unless you’re working with small signs, having a larger mat to be able to cut larger sections of vinyl at one time will be a must. You don’t need to get all the colors, just the green standard grip 12×24 mats will do for projects like this.
2. Apply The Vinyl From Top To Bottom. – When working with signs I always suggest applying the vinyl from top to bottom or side to side, but never both at once. This helps you with alignment, but also to avoid any air bubbles. Use a scrapper tool to help you smooth it out. You might even use a large ruler to help you smooth it out as you go.
3. The Smoother The Surface, The Easier It Will Be To Apply Vinyl. – A smooth surface when it comes to wood rounds is a must. If you buy a sign and it is not smooth you will first need to sand it down to completely smooth. That’s why I suggest to only use birch wood signs or the Amazon ones which I think are mostly manufactured wood that’s already smooth. You can even find door hanger sign kits! What will happen if you don’t use a smooth sign is that your vinyl will not stick to it well, and it will lift up, and show all the texture through.
4. If You Paint Your Wood Round First, Let It Dry For 24 Hours Before You Apply The Design. – It may be that you get a sign that is not the color of background that you wish to have and in this case you will have to first paint it. Remember that if you do this, it won’t be good enough for it to dry for an hour or two. Even if it seems like it’s ready to go, please wait the 24 hours for the paint to cure. If you hurry the process you might end up pulling up some of the paint with the transfer tape when you go to apply the design. No one wants to deal with that mess.
You can use this design for personal and commercial use. If you’d like to share it with your friends (I’d LOVE THIS!), I do ask that you just link them to this post and help support my website. Also, please don’t upload it to a print on demand (POD) website, or send it for mass production.
I have a quick favor to ask. Before you download this freebie, please JOIN the Facebook Group (CLICK HERE), and if you can, please PIN one of the images above.
Thank you so much for your support, and if you make anything with this design, tag me @PerfectStylishCuts, I love seeing your makes.